Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Monster & CareerBuilder Need to Wise Up

When are the big boys of online job boards going to wake up and realize their sites are nothing but a magnet for scam artists?

If I see any more work at home jobs on their sites I'm going to puke. And its not just me. Job seekers are wising up to it to. Check out what this person has to say. She's actually laying out her resume as bait and waiting for the scam artists to phish for her.

She points out that both companies are aware of the problem;

"Monster is well aware of this problem (source: http://help.monster.com/besafe/email/) and CareerBuilder doesn’t even address it (source: http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Info/Fraud.aspx), basically just placing the onus on you to make your resume private, used for applying but not visible."

Monster and CareerBuilder need to start banning these types of firms who access their resumes or post jobs like this.

The job seekers are fed up. They want real jobs, not scams.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog comes across as a Monster and Careerbuilder basher. I doubt that no matter what value those companies may add to search firms, employers, or job seekers, your opinion of them would not change. I mean, CB gets 20 times the traffic as Jobster, it must be working for someone. Is it fair to say you don't think these billion-dollar companies will be relevant in the 2.0 world?

C.M Russell said...

Kevin, its no secret I'm not a fan of these 2. I will admit that they'll be around for years to come. But in this case, I wouldn't even have mentioned this were it not for the job seeker complaint I came across. I am an advocate for the job seeker. Monster and CareerBuilder should take this post as constructive criticism.

Anonymous said...

Most of us are used to getting spam and at least the more world-wise of us can tell a scam a mile away.

What I'D like the job boards to do is to remove the POSTINGS for all these bogus work-at-home-and-make-$10K/month non-jobs! I do a search on Monster or Careerbuild and 80% of what comes up is worthless crap like that.

I think the job boards can do little to prevent people from farming them for e-mail addresses. Your resume and contact information are either public or they are not. However, they darned well CAN stop taking money to post these bogus so-called "opportunities."

- Scott

Anonymous said...

I searched the net until I found this blog to air my complaint about the Monster.com career fair I just attended in Greenville, SC. After hyping it for months and telling attendees to bring "at least 20 resumes", I arrived to find that this was a joke. There were only 9 or 10 legitimate companies, plus a staffing firm and an online degree program trying to sign people up. Six of the vendors were insurance companies recruiting for "outside sales." When asked about administrative support or IT positions, they referred people to their companies' websites. I heard two of the recruiters say, "we're only recruiting for sales positions today." Same for Verizon Wireless, which was only there to hire call-center employees.

I resent the false advertising. It should have been clearly communicated that this was a SALES job fair. Some of the people there (like me) traveled a long way to an event that was, in my opinion, a bit of a scam - complements of Monster.com.