Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Monday, November 12, 2007

Matt Coddington: Job Search Superstar

I just love it when a job search plan come together. This time its a guy named Matt Coddington. He's a web designer who decided to use his blog in place of a resume. He's resourceful, smart and he knew how to stand out in the job market.

"I am only 22 years old and have not really been in this industry for very long. When I started I couldn’t afford to go to the seminars, certification courses, etc. I learned everything I know on my own with little to no help from anybody. And although that might give me a great sense of pride, it doesn’t really look good on a resume. So when I decided I was going to start looking for a web design / marketing position within a company, I had to overcome 1) my age and 2) my resume. How did I do that?

I scrapped the resume and wrote a letter instead. In the letter I leveraged the success of my most recent site, Net Business Blog, to demonstrate my knowledge of the web industry. It worked. I got the job I wanted (as well as a ton of interviews with other companies)."

Matt, you are a job search superstar. Other job seekers should take a page from your playbook.

No comments: