Those looking for Phoenix management jobs should consider a career as an administrative services manager.
Administrative services managers are responsible for planning, directing and coordinating supportive services for an organization. This can include record-keeping, mail distribution, telephone operation, receptionist duties and other support services. They also may oversee the planning, maintenance and custodial operations of a company.
Education and experience requirements for these managers vary widely, depending on the size and complexity of the organization. In small organizations, experience may be the only requirement. In large organizations, however, administrative services managers may need a bachelor’s degree and appropriate experience.
During 2007, administrative services managers in Arizona earned an average wage of $26.41 per hour, with the average entry-level wage coming in at $15.13 per hour, and the average experienced-level wage reaching $32.05 per hour.
According to the Arizona Workforce Informer, employment for administrative services managers throughout the state is expected to increase from 5,130 workers during 2006 to 5,965 workers by 2016, accounting for 835 additional jobs and a growth rate of 16.3 percent.
The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment throughout the nation is expected to increase by 12 percent between 2008 and 2018, which is about as fast as the average growth rate expected for all occupations.
The top 15 industries that employed administrative services managers throughout the state during 2006 were:
- Employment services - 8.1 percent
- Colleges and universities - 5.2 percent
- General medical and surgical hospitals - 3.9 percent
- Offices of physicians - 3.5 percent
- Religious organizations - 2.4 percent
- Services to buildings and dwellings - 2.3 percent
- Automobile dealers - 2.2 percent
- Office administrative services - 2.1 percent
- Outpatient care centers - 2.1 percent
- Elementary and secondary schools - 1.9 percent
- Traveler accommodation - 1.9 percent
- Offices of dentists - 1.6 percent
- Semiconductor and electronic components - 1.6 percent
- Junior colleges - 1.4 percent
- Non-depository credit intermediation