Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What is an 'Entry Level Job'?

An entry level position will generally have little, if any, requirements beyond a high school diploma, a smile, interest, and a hard-working attitude. It is like taking the first step on the ladder; getting a foot in the door. Many entry level jobs will be aimed particularly on college students, and will pay a little higher, but at the same time are more likely to require specific skills and knowledge. Most positions are part-time and will not offer health benefits. An entry level job will almost always provide paid training, and can range from anything such as apprenticeship, receptionists, retail sales, to a fast-food employee.

On a personal note: I remember the very first job I ever had was making pottery. I was in high school, and my art teacher mentioned he had his own pottery studio and could use a helping hand. I told him I was open to work, so he taught me and eventually left me unsupervised. Although paid minimum wage, I was doing what I loved while receiving income.

A good way to find an entry level job
Network. Talk. Get the word out about the kind of job you are looking for, then seek out and talk to people who are already doing that. You'd be surprised what will come up. If you are a new college graduate, congratulations! Check out the Web. Internet recruiting is very popular.

Spend some time with a counselor in the career office, but don't depend solely on him to get you hired. He is just there for guidance; it is ultimately up to the job-seeker how much seriousness and energy they will put into finding the right job. One of the very best ways to learn about an open entry level position is to actually walk into the place of interest, and ask for an application while making yourself known to the boss or manager. Try to shake their hand, promoting physical contact and eye contact. Show interest.

No comments: