Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dear Jobseeker

A reader, Jennifer P., writes:

I am inquiring if you offer any guidance on writing resumes and cover letters? Is it possible to send you mine for editing? I am a recent college graduate, participated in the elite program, the Denver Publishing Institute, and I also just earned my Masters Degree in Publishing. I am trying to begin my career as an editorial assistant in the magazine industry. I have applied to publishers in NYC, Boston, throughout New England and in CT - I really want to work at Connecticut Magazine - but I have not heard back from anyone so I am wondering what am I doing wrong? Is there anything you can do or offer to help me?

And I answer:

Jennifer, your resume seems fine to be honest with you. I don't see anything wrong with it. As far as working for the CT Magazine my advice would be to contact the editor directly or perhaps you could send him samples of your articles you've written? Try doing that in a Fedex envelope to get noticed.
You should also research the company you want to work for and find actual humans you can talk to. Use sites like LinkedIn.com and ZoomInfo.com to do the research. You may find someone you can connect with. And while you are at it, begin your digital fingerprint by creating a profile for yourself on those same sites.
Next I would do something different than a resume. Instead of sending it try creating a "book" in Microsoft Word with a collection of your best articles.Then just send it to editors with a short email. Get creative. You don't really need a cover letter.
Also have you thought about writing a blog to showcase your skills? For writers, blogs are a great way to "stand out" in the job market. Take a look at blogforjobs.com for some examples. Then head on over to blogger.com and start blogging. Just write about writing or even your daily job search memories.
Best of luck and let me know how it goes!

No comments: