Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Male Jobseekers Need to Get a Grip

If you are a male job hunter, you need to read this post. It's "back-to-school" time so lets go over a few job search basics.

Hopefully you realize by now that making a good first impression in the interview is imperative for you to get the job. So why do so many of you have a weak, limp handshake?

When I was interviewing for a couple of positions at my company this year, 4 out of 5 candidates I met with had the lamest handshakes imaginable. Needless to say this was MY FIRST IMPRESSION of them. None of those 4 got the job.

Growing up, I was always taught to give a firm hand when greeting someone, no matter for a job or in another situation. A firm handshake is something so many of you underestimate in getting the job.

I can tell you that when two males meet each other for the 1st time, a firm grip is expected.

Alexandra got me thinking about this last night and she points out the following post on how & why to properly shake a persons' hand.

Now dont get me wrong. Female job seekers should also heed this advice. I just think that male interviewers expect a firm handshake more than female ones do. Anyway, we all just need to get a grip.

No comments: