Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Books can inspire job seekers

Of course I'm partial to my own paperback but this article discusses a few more book about job hunting.

Dianna Tingg had just finished a London internship and was living with her parents in Seattle. She needed a job but didn't know what career to pursue. So she turned to a 36-year-old guide, "What Color Is Your Parachute?"

"The book was very inspirational to me because it helped me realize what I wanted to do and where I wanted to do it," said the 26-year-old, who applied for 20 public relations jobs in New York. She posted her résumé on Craig's List, was contacted the next day by her current boss, bought a ticket to Manhattan, crashed on a friend's air mattress and landed the job at a small PR firm.

Katie Thomas, 23, had just graduated from college but didn't want to pursue her majors of psychology and English. She knew it would be difficult convincing interviewers of job skills in other areas, so when a friend recommended "Sweaty Palms: The Neglected Art of Being Interviewed," she snapped it up.

Continued >>

No comments: