Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Friday, October 14, 2005

How to Choose the Right Career for You

One of my favorite career columnist is Ask Annie who writes for Fortune Magazine. Her latest article offers some very useful tips for college students who cant decide on a career path. Some of her readers wrote in regarding how they ended up in their profession.

"Whatever you do, don't let anyone else choose your career for you," writes a reader named Alistair. "My grandfather was a lawyer. My father was a lawyer. My family assumed I would become a lawyer too, so I did. What a mistake." Even though Alistair regrets his choice, he does have wise advice for those you are still deciding on a career: Make your own decisions. Indeed, many thanks to all of you who sent such thoughtful responses to my query a few weeks ago in my column, "Help! I Can't Decide on a Career!", asking how you chose your line of work and what you would change if, knowing what you know now, you could travel back in time.

Go to full article >>

No comments: