Secrets of the Job Hunt

Jobs

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Some Jobseekers Don't Have a Clue

As the manager of my own network of job boards I see the good, the bad, and the ugly of jobseekers apply methods. Lately though it seems that at least a few jobseekers out there just don't have a clue when it comes to job hunting. In particular, online job hunting.

2 examples that come to mind, are the calls I get from job seekers and the error prone typing on online apply forms.

Every week I get 4 or 5 calls from jobseekers who see a job on one of my sites and then call MY company phone number thinking that they are calling the employer that posted the ad. This drives me crazy! What possessed them to call a job board about a job from another company? Don't they realize that a job board is merely a third party medium through which employers post job openings? It makes me wonder if they are also calling newspapers about a certain classified they read. When I ask them why they called my business instead of the hiring company they just say ..."well I saw this number on the website". What they should have done was call information or at least click the employers web site link that is clearly displayed on the job description to get the phone number.

The other example I see is the amount of typing errors when it comes to filling in an online application form. Our sites receive 20-30 failed attempts a week because job seekers can't type their correct email address. Whether its forgetting the .com at the end or misspelling their email address, that jobseeker's application will never get to the employer. Their lack of "attention to detail" truly amazes me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it is simple. The "clueless jobseekers" you speak of are desperate for interaction with human beings--to talk to some body. Weblinks just do not fulfill most jobseekers' informational needs. On "monster.com", for example, many listings have "company confidential" for the employer category. What is that? Jobseekers need THOROUGH, clear information so they know just exactly what job they are pursuing, or if they should pursue the job at all-- then maybe you would not be pestered with so many no-brainers. I believe I speak for all jobseekers when I say, "Our time is also valuable". It is bad enough you tuck in your collared shirt, get all nervous, go and divulge all your personal information, and wait 3 weeks for no answer.